Friday, October 25, 2013

Reflection

This course has taught me to appreciate the different traditional arts and crafts of India. It has pushed me to reading a couple of books from the library like embroideries of Asia, saris of India, traditional rugs, etc. This has put me in a habit of being curious to know about the various fabrics or clothes I see people wear every day. The lecture about ornamentation really got me thinking and questioning a lot of the things I see around me.
The last assignment of reading a particular cloth was a little difficult because every time I chose a cloth I got carried away with some other cloth and in the process I have gained knowledge about a lot of cultures, cloths, dyes, etc. I got carried away with the fashion in Victorian era. While I was reading about this era I found that the fashion in the time changed slowly as compared to today’s world. In all of this what really struck me was the women’s status in society and the way they were treated. Their say in their lives was very little and I couldn't get this out of my mind.
Reading Cloth has made me question more than I used to about textiles, history and to find answers in books more than on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment